As the name implies the library is a part of Indian Institute of Petroleum which is a national laboratory established in 1959 under aegis of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. The objects of this Institute are:
To undertake research and developmental work on the processing and utilization of crude petroleum and natural gas and in the field of petrochemicals.
To compile information on the production and utilization of petroleum, natural gas and their products petrochemicals.
To conduct market survey and techno economic studies.
To train personnel for the oil and petrochemical industries and for the Indian Institute of Petroleum.
To assist the Indian Standards Institution in formulating standards for petroleum products.The Institute and the library are situated about 8 kilometers from Dehra Dun on the road to Hardwar.